Saturday 8 June 2013

21 Years of Number One Singles

It's my 21st birthday soon, so to celebrate on this 'ere corner of the web, I wanted to go through all the number one singles from my birthday week for the past 21 years, so here's a list of all the best and worst chart-toppers. I warn you now, there will be some catchy earworms in this list, so unless you're comfortable hearing Britney Spears in your mind all day, I suggest you stop reading now. Seriously.
Please keep your hands and feet inside the vehicle, we're going time travelling...

1992 - Erasure - Abba-esque
Nope, I don't remember this by name... that's a good start! I assume it's a cover of ABBA? Erasure had better hits. Oh baby pleeease give a little respeeeect toooooo meeeeeee...
1993 - UB40 - (I Can't Help) Falling In Love With You
Oh man, the British wannabe Jamaicans. Please no.
1994 - Wet Wet Wet - Love Is All Around
A pretty unremarkable hit except for the fact the guy from The Troggs wrote this - remember Wild Thing? He lived in the next town until he passed away last year. Avid believer that UFOs existed. Little did he know it was me making the crop circles.
1995 - Robson Green and Jerome Flynn - Unchained Melody
Ohhhhh yes, I was hoping Robson and Jerome would appear somewhere. I was always Team Robson though. He was the only reason I watched that Northern Lights/City Lights/Clash of the Santas series.

1997 - Hanson - Mmmbop
When you remember this song, all bad feelings fade away.
Seems '97 was a good year for the catchy American hits, because the number one a week later was Puff Daddy's I'll Be Missing You, then the classic Men In Black in August - let's face it, we all tried to learn the alien dance moves from that video.

1998 - B*Witched - C'est La Vie
According to my parents, I used to have this on casette and play it religiously. I vehemently contest this.
2003 - Evanescence - Bring Me To Life
This clung onto the top spot for 4 weeks! This song encapsulates my teenage years, I was inseparable from my Fallen album, and I blame Amy Lee for my desire to dye my hair black at a ridiculously young age.

2004 - Mario Winans - I Don't Wanna Know
I've only recently recovered from an obsession with this song! Shola Ama, The Pirates and Naila Boss collaborated for a retaliation to this with You Should Really Know, and 04 was clearly the best year for retaliation hits - anyone remember Eamonn and Frankee? Also in 2004 were Usher's Yeah! and Burn, and Britney's Toxic and Everytime, and also Busted - this whole year was addictive for this 12 year old girl discovering her pop obsessions.

2005 - Crazy Frog - Axel F
This only stayed at the top for 4 weeks but from memory it felt like a decade.
2006 - Nelly Furtado - Maneater
I see the title 'maneater' and instantly think Hall and Oates, I can't be the only one, surely?
2007 - Rihanna - Umbrella
This was at number 1 for 10 weeks, it's a wonder we're all still alive.
2009 - Dizzee Rascal - Bonkers
SOME PEOPLE THINK I'M BONKERS, BUT I JUST THINK I'M FREE, MAN I'M JUST LIVING MY LIFE, AIN'T NUTHIN CRAZY BOUT MEEE
If you don't sing along to this, you're lying.

2012 - Cheryl Cole - Call My Name
Just no.

Anyone else feeling a little travel sick from this trip down memory lane? Well I hope you've enjoyed the ride and don't forget to leave a comment down below - what was number 1 when you were born?

Join this zombie in another realm: My Beauty Blog - ZombiesWearEyelinerFacebookTwitterInstagramPinterestBloglovin

2 comments:

  1. OMG Evanescence was 10 years ago :| wtf even happened to time?!?!?! xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally had that B*Witched song on repeat back in the day =P
    Yay for Evanescence. Number ones seem to have gone downhill since then.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my post! I aim to reply to comments as soon as possible :)